Whether you’re after a country walk, a cosy pub, or a sweet treat, this list has something for everyone.
Our pick of the best things in Kent to try this Autumn
1. Autumn activities for families
- Visit the ‘Enchanted Dockyard’ at Chatham for seasonal activities including pumpkin carving, wand and slime-making, plus a sensory ‘mystical garden’ with a fairy village. Visitors are encouraged to come in costume.
- Pick your own pumpkins at a Kent farm. Remember to wear welly boots, as this can get muddy!
- Join the pumpkin festival at Riverhill Himalayan Gardens (Sevenoaks). This includes a pumpkin hunt, a cosy grotto and (BYO) pumpkin carving.
- Follow the Zog activity trail at beautiful Bedgebury National Pinetum and forest (Cranbrook).
2. Crisp Autumn walks
- Experience Autumn’s stunning colours and collect sweet chestnuts at Riverhill Himalayan Gardens in the Wood Garden.
- Explore the National Trust grounds in Kent and experience a rainbow of Autumn colours. At Chartwell House (Churchill’s childhood home), visitors are encouraged to collect windfall apples in the grounds, which are then made into apple juice.
- Stroll around Walmer castle grounds (Deal). This English Heritage property has 8 acres of gardens, which include a natural play trail with hollow tree trunks and wobbly bridges.
- Take a fun, self-guided city walk with a treasure hunt theme. Curious about Canterbury takes in the cathedral, city walls, Chaucer’s tales and much more.
3. Seasonal food and drink
- After a long walk kicking Autumn leaves, cosy up in a Kent pub with a roaring log fire. The Two Brewers (Shoreham) is one of our favourites.
- Try a Harvest tour and cider tasting at Kentish Pip (Canterbury).
- Visit one of the top 20 cafes in Kent for a frothy hot chocolate or a spiced chai latte.
- The Fig cafe (Rye) is perfect for a cuppa and a slice of homemade carrot cake after a spot of early Christmas shopping in the independent vintage stores.
4. Firework displays
- Leeds Castle fireworks spectacular is the biggest fireworks dislay in the South East and includes a live DJ set.
- Kent Life fireworks spectacular features face-painting and glow-sticks.
- Oooh and aaah at the The Hop Farm Spooktacular fireworks.
- Our local fireworks at Chislehurst Recreation Ground have been run by the Rotary Club for over 35 years and always go with a bang!
More ideas for Autumn fun in Kent
- Things to do in and around Sevenoaks for Autumn & Halloween by the Incidental Parent
- Things to do In October by Muddy Stilettoes
- Ruxley Manor seasonal events, including a ‘hocus pocus circus’
- Roast chestnuts and a funfair at Rochester Christmas market, set in the grounds of the castle
Finally, you might also be interested in these Kent-related posts: